- 1 Challenges - User Interface
- 2 Integration of Moodle Calendar with Google and Thunderbird Calendar
- 3 Challenges - functionality
- 4 Further exploration
- 5 Challenges - performance
- 6 SOLVED
Challenges - User Interface
Moodle App - Kannada interface and other issues
Moodle App has to support m-lang interface. Moodle App to support other functionalities supported on desktop
|Moodle Module Name||Works on Laptop||Works on Moodle app in phone|
|IMS content package||No||No|
Integration of Moodle Calendar with Google and Thunderbird Calendar
Setting events in Moodle calendar should trigger alerts in Google and Thunderbird Calendar
Home page look
We are using the two column theme , so blocks can be either left or right but not on both side - https://karnatakaeducation.org.in/lms/admin/settings.php?section=theme_adaptable_layout but there are several other customization this theme allows like adding slide show to front page and provides adding many blocks in grids as shown in these screen shots of theme page - https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Adaptable_theme#Screenshots.
Challenges - functionality
Reply to moodle post email will post on forum
Right now this is not the case as you will get "reply-to" header with a unique address to reply to forum posts via email.
First this needs to be enabled here - https://karnatakaeducation.org.in/lms/admin/tool/messageinbound/index.php and configured with correct mail server values to handle incoming mails with mailbox in moodle at this place - https://karnatakaeducation.org.in/lms/admin/settings.php?section=messageinbound_mailsettings
Then moodle will send email from the no-reply address but not the email of the forum poster and each user will be provided with reply-to address when they click to reply to a forum post via email for which some default expiry period can be set
Y - There are lot of variables here and needs some testing before I can enable this feature considering it will use the same server resources which are used by regular mail server..
Check list on progress of student in course
1. Can it be changed to reflect progress like - (i) understand (ii) somewhat (iii) don't understand. Yes/ No - they may all say yes 2.
In Edx kind of platforms, we have a progress bar- so can we break down the assignment question as completed PDL, completed concept map,etc...and they check only what they have completed - and it shows the progress completion? Even in each of these items, % completion will be useful to show. One of the good students said "if we have finished we say yes,otherwise we come back and say Yes when we finish". This may not be the best for their own self-tracking
Y - Progress bar and % completion is possible with the existing check list activity. Additionally as a teacher, you can comment on individual student's items.
How can I configure so that I can set quizzes, collate participation in discussion forums, check views of resources to automatically assess a learner. (as can be done in EdEx)
Challenges - performance
How many students can enrol in a course in Moodle? Beyond which number will performance degrade
- Kannada Moodle fully available now
- Multi-institution offering on same Moodle installation, solved using course categories - Vijaya Teachers college, RIESI courses on same platform. Once logged in, you can only see courses you are linked to.
- Course naming convention closed out, so that MY COURSES pull down is easy to read/understand. Naming convention includes ORGANIZATION OFFERING COURSE + YEAR + COURSE SHORT NAME + ACADEMIC YEAR. eg CET-18-ICT-2016-18 Sem 3 or RIESI-PGDELT-2018 or VTC-B.Ed-ICT-2017-19 Sem 1
- Files upload in Kannada and English can we use mlang? - we can, but file will appear in both language interfaces
- Sections interface (like EdEx) is available in course configuration
- Usual keyboard short cuts work - listed here - https://docs.moodle.org/31/e/Text_editor_FAQ#Are_there_any_keyboard_shortcuts.3F
- MAIL settings for a post - can be set at overall site level and also at forum level (while site setting is 'daily digest , full mail', we will need 'each posting to be mailed' setting for faculty only forums. Through EDIT Settings while inside the forum
For the VTC course, we are opening it out to teacher educators of other BEd colleges in Bengaluru. We need to have an email id for interested teacher educators to mail interest... or this can be a (moodle?) form.
I create a form within moodle use of plugin like this to create forms for anon users - https://moodle.org/plugins/local_contact
or we can also simply make a google form of what data we want to collect and give the link to same on our moodle frontpage. But why separate email id? we can provide [] if we want them to contact us.. (ENROL OPTION AVAILABLE IN MOODLE TO ENROL FOR A COURSE. TO EXPLORE) - may be needed for RIESI-PDGELT