Introduction to Geogebra and Points, Lines and segments
- To get acquainted with digital tool
- To visualize geometrical figures with real life situations
- Introduce children to the concept of points, line, ray and segments
Refreshment activity related to language - 15 minutes
Introduction to Geogebra - 15 minutes
Hands-on Activities in Geogebra on points, lines and segments with demonstration - 30 - 40 minutes
Worksheet distribution - 5 minutes
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Prior understanding of Edges, corners and shapes
Materials/ Resources needed
- Digital : Computer, Geogebra application, projector.
- Non-digital : Worksheet and pencil.
Process (How to do the activity)
To demonstrate -
- How to on/off computer ?
- How to open Geogebra application ?
- How to use tools in Geogebra interface?
- How to create and Save a file in Geogebra ?
- How to plot and label points, draw line segments, draw line, draw rays ?
1. Plot 10 points and Name it as A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J.
2. Draw 5 line segments - AB, BD, DE, FG, AH
3. Draw 5 lines - BC, EF, AE, DG, GI
4. Draw 5 rays - OB, FD, KL, BE, RC
Developmental questions of the activity
- Why we use points? What does point indicate?
- Are all points are in the same place?
- Do you think you can draw a complete picture of a line? Why?
- Can you measure the line?
- A minimum of how many points are required to fix a line?
- How many points can be plotted on a line?
- How many segments can be on a line?
- Give examples for points, rays, segments and lines in our day-to-day life.
- How to represent line segments, rays and lines symbolically?
Refreshment activity :
Guess the word :
- Grouping the students(Each group has maximum 3 students)
- One student from each group pickup the word, and give 3 clues in a word to describe the vocabulary word that needs to be guessed by other group members
- The word to be guessed should not be told by the participant to other group members.