Adding content to wikipedia
Anyone can add/edit content in Wikipedia. In fact, Wikipedia has become the world's most popular encyclopedia due to the efforts of thousands of ordinary people, who have contributed to it.
Teachers, as public intellectuals, have a special responsibility to contribute to this global knowledge resource. Especially teachers who are familiar with Indian/ Indic languages must take on the responsibility of adding content to the Indic Wikipedias. One way of doing this is to do simple translations of existing Wikipedia English pages, which do not have equivalent pages in the Indic language.
Instead of feeling bad about the relative lack of resources in Indian languages, let us join together and add content to the Indian Language Wikipedias.
It is good to know the fundamental principles of Wikipedia before you get started.
Following editors are commonly used to add/edit content in Wikipedia. Tools like Content Translation can only be used to create new articles.
- Visual editor
- Content Translation
Using Content translation
Following steps can be followed to use the Content Translation tool -
- Please create an account on Wikipedia from this link.
- Visit your desired language Wikipedia (For ex.,. if you want to translate from English to Kannada, go to kn.wikipedia.org)
- Enable Content Translation under Preferences→ Beta features.
- Go to Content translation page at Contributions→ Translation.
- Click on Add new translation to start translating an article from English to your language.
VTC 2017-19 Semester 4 batch
VTC 2018-20 Semester 2 batch
More details on the team and articles published can be found here