Axiom 5: The whole is greater than the part
From Karnataka Open Educational Resources
Two individual things are connected together to form one entity then each of these two things that form a whole is smaller than the whole.
Name of the activity
Brief blurb describing what the activity. If this has been borrowed from some external web site (for example, a non OER or OER site which had this idea and based on which the activity was developed)
To demonstrate the whole is greater than the part
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Prior knowledge of points, lines and shapes
Materials/ Resources needed
- Digital : Computer, geogebra application, projector.
- Non digital : Worksheet and pencil
- Geogebra files : “Axiom-5.ggb”
Download this geogebra file from this link.
Process (How to do the activity)
- The files demonstrate Euclid's fifth axiom.
- With the two sliders in initial position – it can be seen that there is a larger square and a small square.
- Change in position of first slider moves the super imposed square.
- The second slider fits the small square into part to make it a whole.
Evaluation at the end of the activity
- If a part is taken from a whole what will remain.