This activity explores various methods of making cubes
This image has been taken from : http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/54682.html
Making cubes with nets
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
A cube and its properties should have been covered.
Materials/ Resources needed
Non digital: Chart paper, pencil, scale, scissors, cellophane tape
Process (How to do the activity)
- Ask the students to draw equal sized grids on the chart paper.
- Draw and cut any of the cubed nets as shown in the above figure.
- Cut along the edges.
- Fold carefully and form into a cube.
- Secure tight using cello tape.
- Study the properties of cube.
- Developmental Questions:
- What is a cube ?
- How many sides does a cube have ?
- Are all sides the same ?
- Point to its vertices. How many vertices does a square have ?
- Point to its edges and faces. How many are there ?
- What is the shape of each of its face ? So how many squares are there in a cube ?
- What are the properties of a cube ?
- Question Corner
- List objects similar to a cube from your surroundings ?