Difference between revisions of "CELT RIESI Language Workshop July 2019"
|Line 133:||Line 133:|
Revision as of 14:06, 12 October 2019
One-day workshops on "Audio materials development" for participants of the CELT program (different batches) of RIESI - July 27, 2019, August 24, 2019, September 8, 2019
Objectives of the workshop
- Exploring new digital tools for language learning
- Exploring Audacity FOSS tool to create rich language resources for use in a language lesson
- Learning recording and editing audio using Audacity
- Making your audio resource richer by using multiple audio files (background music)
- Introduce the philosophy of creating and adapting existing audio resources
- Publishing created audio resource on a public repository for use of all teachers
|10.00 - 10.30||Overview||Presentation||Understand objectives of the workshop
Review the agenda
Understanding second language acquisition (Krashen)
|Review the workshop page
Read the resource on Krashen (See Resources section)
|10.30 - 11.00||Listening to exemplar audio story||Listening
|Listen to an audio story (Karadi Tales - Blue Jackal)
Discuss the benefits of creating audio resource
|Documenting discussions in a mindmap|
|11.00 -11.30||Record audio using different devices||Demo||Using different applications for audio recording
Understanding the technical specifications for audio – headphones, microphone, etc
|Check list of recording a good quality audio
Audacity interface Go through the audio recording process – record pause, play, stop and save as project file, export Mobile apps are like sound recorder, audio recorder, recorder
Record and save audio files.
|11.30-12.45||Creating audio resources for the lessons in the text||Demo and Hands-on||1. Understanding the power of audio in a classroom
2. Appreciating the incremental benefit that the digital audio resource brings to a classroom – possibilities of introducing contextual sounds
|1. Participants have to select (on selected story line and poem etc)|
2. Use lab computers or their personal laptop or mobile phones to record.
|12.45-1.00||Hands-on||Import audio into systems (who are recorded in mobile)
And import to audcaity (all)
|2-3.30||Adding audio elements to your recording||Demo and Hands-on||1. Effectiveness of adding audio effects
2. Understanding when to use audio effects and how
|1. Use edit tools to refine your audio by removing unwanted part
2. To understand what is track and its uses
|3.30-4.30||Use different audio effects for make audio more interest||Demo and Hands-on||Using an audio editing tool to enhance an audio resource
Understanding of using different audio effects to make more effective of the story
|1. Use amplify to adjust the output volume of your audio files
2. Fade in/out to adjust the audio -voice modulation
4. Use different audacity tools like envelop, noise removal, silence.
5. Save Export your audio files in different formats.
|4.30 - 5.00||Participants presentation||Presentation||Review participants created audio resources||1. Participants have to present their audio resources created in workshop.
2. Participants have to give feedback for fellow participants.
- Audacity handout (Free and Open sources audio editor tool)
- Karadi tale - Blue Jackal by Naseeruddin Shah
- Audio resources created in the workshops by
- Online OER audio repositories
- Reading resources
Please fill the feedback form