Is circle a Polygon ? - A debate
A polygon when increased in number of sides tends to form a circle is shown with this interesting activity.
To understand how a circle is derived
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Ensure that lesson on polygons is done.
Materials/ Resources needed
Digital: Laptop, geogebra file, projector and a pointer.
Geogebra file: Regular polygon tends towards a circle as sides increase.ggb
This geogebra file has been created by maths STF teachers.
Download this geogebra file from this link.
Process (How to do the activity)
- How many sides does this figure have ?
- Name the figure formed.
- What is happening to the length of the sides as the number of sides is increased ?
- What shape is this ?
- So, can circle be considered a polygon ? Justify
- Are the students able to comprehend that the number of sides is getting infinite as the shape resembles a circle ?
- Are the students able to appreciate the application of polygon anology to circles.
- Question Corner;
Debate between two groups with these two perspectives.
- Circle seems to have derived from polygons . Circle can be considered a polygon.
- A polygon is defined by a certain number of sides having non zero length. Then how can circle be a polygon ? (hint: all radii in a circle should be equal ???)