Mensuration Activity 2
Activity - Name of Activity
Mensuration Standard units of measurements:Hunting treasure and measuring
Materials/ Resources needed
Weighing balance, measuring tape, spring balance, digital scale,
Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
Process (How to do the activity)
1. Let the students measure different ingredients using suitable measuring instruments and record their observations in a tabular form.
Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
- What did you measure ?
- What measuring instrument did you select ? Why ?
- What was your reading ?
- which unit do you use ?
Evaluation (Questions for assessment of the child)
- Were the students able to comprehend which measuring instrument should be used for particular items ?
- Were they able to document their observations appropriately in a tabular form.
1. Write a note on why standard measuring units are very important.
Activity - Name of Activity
Estimated Time Materials/ Resources needed Prerequisites/Instructions, if any Multimedia resources Website interactives/ links/ / Geogebra Applets Process/ Developmental Questions Evaluation Question Corner
Activity No #1
for the details of the activity 1 click below
Hunting treasure and measuring
- Estimated Time : 1 hour
- Materials/ Resources needed:
- Weighing pan with measures of 1 kg, 500gm, 250gm and 100gm and 50gm.
- Digital scale
- Postal scale.
- Measuring cans of 1 litre, 500ml, 250 ml, 100ml,
- Measuring tape, Ruler.
- Watch or stop clock.
- Paper and pen.
- Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
- The students should have been introduced to the concept of formal measurements by conducting an activity on using standard measuring instruments.
- They should understand the importance of standard measurements and distinction between standard and non-standard units of measurements.
- They should be well versed with standard units and subunits.
- They should know unit conversions.
- They should have the skill of measuring and recording accurately.
- They should be aware that comparisons can be made only between similar measuring units.
- Multimedia resources
- Website interactives/ links/ / Geogebra Applets
- The idea here is to inculde several measuring units for practise.
- Initially instruct the students regarding the activity and its purpose.
- Group students into 3 in each.
- The teacher shall make packets of things as treasure and hide them in the school premises.
- The students shall pick chits containing clues to hunt and find the packets.
- 30 minutes is given to search.
- The students search packets and come back to classroom.
- The packets may contain cloth, ribbons, ropes, water, fruits, ingredients , vegetable , books , juice, stamps,envelops or any such measurable items.
- The students have to quickly decide which measuring mode they are going to use, measure and record their findings.
- They also have to measure the distance at which they found each and record the time taken to search.
- Developmental Questions:
Ask the students to write on
- What treasures did they find ?
- At what distance did they find ?
- How much time did they take to find ?
- What measuring instruments did they use ?, why ?
- How will they tabulate their results ?
- Can you list the purpose of each ?
- The teacher should analyse the students skill of documentation.
- Question Corner:
- What are standard the units of length ?
- What are the standard units of weight ?
- How are liquids measured ?