Multiplication of Polynomials Activity 1
Activity No # 1 - Multiplication of Polynomials
15 to 20 minutes
Materials/ Resources needed
- Algebra Tiles activity sheet ,
- Algebra tiles
Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
Knowledge Of the terms monomial, binomial, trinomial, polynomial, term, degree, base, exponent, coefficient
Process (How to do the activity)
- Demonstrate multiplying polynomials using algebra tiles, as shown in above video :
(x x 1)(x + 6) = x2 + 7x + 6
- Distribute algebra tiles and copies of the Multiplying Polynomials Using Algebra Tiles
activity sheet. Instruct students to model each expression with the tiles, draw the model, simplify the expression, and write the simplified answer.
Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
Evaluation (Questions for assessment of the child)
- Draw a model of the multiplication of two binomials. Simplify your expression.
- Explain why (2x)(3x) = 6x and not 6x.