Nature of Light white light and colours activity1
From Karnataka Open Educational Resources
- Estimated Time - 2 periods of 40 minutes
- Materials/ Resources needed
White paper, Pins, Source of Light, Prisms, Dark room
- Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
- Activity on Recombination of Colours
- Dark room for light experiments
- Multimedia resources
- Website interactives/ links/ simulations
|Newton's Prism Experiment. This is a demonstration of the experiment showing the splitting and recombination of white light. Useful to show the students after the demonstration/ experimentation in class.|
- Process (How to do the activity)
- Demonstrate the dispersion using a prism and recombination of the light
- Students must do this experiment in groups
- The teacher must demonstrate carefully how to position the prism, how to observe rays in light experiments
- Students must be able to draw ray diagrams showing the split of the spectrum
- Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
- When the light falls on the prism, what did you expect to see? What happened?
- What are the colours you see? What is the order of the colours?
- Evaluation (Questions for assessment of the child)
- From the incoming beam of light, which colour showed the maximum angle of dispersion? (This question can be picked up later to discuss wavelengths and electromagnetic spectrum)
- If you change the direction of the incoming light, what happens to the dispersion?
- Observe the accuracy of the diagrams
- Question Corner