Jump to navigation Jump to search
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Basics of prism should have been covered.
Materials/ Resources needed
- Coloured chart papers, glue, cellophane tape, pencil, ruler and scissors.
- Pre-drawn nets of different prisms, carbon papers.
This activity has been taken from the website teachMathematics.
Process (How to do the activity)
- This activity can be done in groups of 3 students in each.
- The teacher can help with the nets of different prisms (available in the above mentioned website).
- Let the students make a robot entirely out of different prisms.
- They should have atleast one cuboid, one triangular prism, one cylinder and one hexagonal based prism.
- Enable the students to understand the naming and fundamental properties of prisms as they involve in making prisms.
- It should also help with thinking about the surface area of prisms by relating back to the nets required to make them.
- Developmental Questions:
- Can you identify the prism type by seeing its net ?
- Show all stages of your work.
- How would you find the surface area of the prism ?
- Question Corner:
- Enumerate the properties of prisms.
- Identify and name different prisms.
- What type of prism is a cuboid ?