- 1 Concept Map
- 2 Introduction to Science Laboratory
- 3 Planning of Science laboratories
- 4 Entry of apparatus in the registers
- 5 Slide presentation
- 6 Simple Science Experiments in School
- 7 Important terms from Wikipedia
- 8 List of experiments
- 9 News articles
Introduction to Science Laboratory
One of the important functions of the science laboratory is the deepening of the students understanding that scientific concepts and application are closely related to their own natural environment. In the laboratory the students can be taught more readily to be discriminating in observations, to evaluate evidence of data and to sense the importance of care and skill in the talking of measurements. Laboratory should be represented as an integral part of instruction in science. Before constructing the laboratory, the following factors should be taken into consideration at the planning stage.
- The number of pupils working at a time.
- The minimum space for each pupil and teacher for comfortable working.
- Need for ancillary accommodation for storage.
- Designing the science class room and laboratory in such a way that it could be used for science teaching.
- Demonstration table.
Planning of Science laboratories
In secondary schools, science is taught as a core subject. In addition to this these are three elective subjects i.e., physics, chemistry and biology. The size of the laboratory will depend upon the number of students working at a time in the laboratory. It may be planned according to the need of the school.
The Physics laboratory :
The physics laboratory should be equipped with
- Working tables of about 6’x4’x3’ size.
- One demonstration table.
- A wall of black board behind the demonstration table.
- Sinks in the wall.
- Projected platform in the wall for charts.
- Bench or desk for pupils.
The Chemistry laboratory :
It should have the following equipments
- Working table with shelves, cupboards and with acid proof topics.
- One demonstration table with cupboard and with water and gas fittings.
- Shelves for keeping chemical reagents. These may either be fitted on the working table or in the walls.
- Sinks in the walls or in the working tables.
- A wall of black board.
- A fume cupboard.
The Biology laboratory :
It should be equipped with
- A demonstration table.
- Stools, sinks, wall black board, almirahs
- Space for aquarium
- Specimens stand or table or shelves.
- Projected platform in the wall for charts.
Entry of apparatus in the registers
The articles received should be properly checked and entered in the registers the same day. A correct and properly maintained record of the articles in important to check any articles at any time. The apparatus and material should be entered separately in the article whether permanent, breakable or consumable. The three stock registers can be:
Permanent stock register:
In this register entered the all articles purchased from the firm and taken from the department or donators.
Breakable stock Register:
This will include the articles of glass-ware such as flasks, beakers, thermometers etc. After the broken enter into or remove the item from permanent stock register.
Consumable stock register:
Chemicals, pins, wires, rubber tubes etc will be entered in this register. Stock verification should be compulsory and conducting at March 31st every year. At that time we will remove the breakable stocks and consumable stocks from Permanent stock register, then certified by head of the institution and lab in charge teacher.
Vaishampayan. K Joshi Sir
Asst. Teacher, Girls Govt High School SIRWAR Tq:Manvi Dt:Raichur
Shared By : Narayan Babanagar
Simple Science Experiments in School
The following experiments have been shared by Praveen Kamath Sir, GHS Ankanahally, Somavarpet Taluk, Kodagu
The following experiments have been shared by S V Burli Sir, Banjara High School, Bijapur
Click here for more.
Important terms from Wikipedia
List of experiments
|CK Gopala Rao||Metals react with acids||Chapter Name|
|CK Gopala Rao||Double Displacement Reaction||Chemical Bonding|
|Harikrishna Holla G||Reflection from concave mirror||Our colourful world|
|Vijaya Ananda Rao||Density of liquids||States of matter|
|Bharat Bhupal Tonge||Double displacement reactions in hard water by Na2CO3, CaCl2, MgCl2, CaSO4, MgSO4||Chemical reactions and their types|
|Ramesha K V||Hardness of water||Chemicals in daily life|
ವೆಂಕಟೇಶ ಹೆಚ್ ಎನ್
|Sodium reaction with water||Chapter Name|
|Sunilkumar SR||Making soap||Chemicals in daily life|
|Srinivasa.K.V||Litmus reaction with acids and bases|
|Bheemappa||Double displacement reaction||Chemical Bonding|
|Shivakumara K T||Physical and Chemical Changes|
|Shashikumar BS||Observing stomata in epidermal tissues||Study of cells|
|Tandava murthy.A.N||Boyle's law||Chapter Name|
|ಶಿವಪ್ರಸಾದ್.ಎಸ್.||Refraction of light||Nature of light|
|Gavisiddeshwar||Conductivity in ionic solutions||Ionic conductivity|
|Radghavendra Kulkarni||Reaction of sulphur||Chapter Name|
|Sathya murthy||Combustion||Chapter Name|
|Harish KS||Newton's Laws||Force and Newton's Laws of Motiom|
|Sangamesh V.Burli||Refraction in convex lens||Lens|
|Channabasavaraja D S||Bleaching property of Sulphur Dioxide||Chapter Name|
|Mohan k m||Faraday's laws||Electromagnetic Induction|
|Guruprasad H||Parts of a flower||Reproduction in higher plants|
|A Srinivas||Water Cycle Model||Biogeochemical cycles|
|Ramakrishna||Heating and magnetic effects of electric current||Electricity|
- Structure of cells
- test for proteins
- test for starch
- test for carbohydrates
- carbondioxide is essential for photosynthesis
- to show structure of stomata
- oxygen is released during photosynthesis
- Hindu news article. He said that the present curriculum in the schools does not give importance to the non-formal learning process, through which learning gets imprinted in the memory of children for a longer period. The government should also establish science clubs. Visits to science labs, horticulture and agriculture fields should be part of the learning process in schools, he said. NCSM has already introduce a virtual lab in Chemistry and Zoology and shortly it would come out with virtual lab facilities in other branches of science and mathematics.