Acceleration due to Gravity activity 2
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Activity No # 1 - Freely falling object
Materials/ Resources needed
Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
|Image:||The image on the side, spanning half a second, was captured with a stroboscopic flash at 20 flashes per second. During the first 1⁄20 of a second the ball drops one unit of distance (here, a unit is about 12 mm); by 2⁄20 it has dropped at total of 4 units; by 3⁄20, 9 units and so on. Check here for a more detailed description.|
Website interactives/ links/ simulations
Process (How to do the activity)
- Project the picture for the class and discuss the following questions
Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
- Where is the ball at time = 0?
- In the first (1/20)th of a second, what is the distance travelled by ball?
- In the second (1/20)th of a second, what is the distance travelled by ball?
- How does the distance fallen increase with time?
- What can you say about the motion?
Evaluation (Questions for assessment of the child)
Will the ball also attract the Earth and produce an acceleration?