Arc of a circle
From Karnataka Open Educational Resources
The part of the circumference within the two points in either directions are called its arcs.
- The students learn that an arc is a part of a circle included between two distinct points on the circumference of the circle.
- The students learn that the the larger arc is called major arc and the smaller one is called minor arc.
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
- The students should know to draw a circle using compass.
- They should know that arc is part of the circumference.
Materials/ Resources needed
- Digital : Computer, geogebra application, projector.
- Non digital : Worksheet and pencil, compass, strings
- Geogebra files : Arcs in a circle .ggb
Process (How to do the activity)
- If the circle is divided into 2 parts?
- How many arcs are formed?
- Are the two arcs equal?
- Establish minor arc(smaller arc) and major arc(larger arc)
- Compare region enclosed by major arc and minor arc, which is larger?
- Establish sector – major sector and minor sector
- Animate the geogebra file to show a major arc becomes a minor arc.
- If one is major arc, the other is a minor arc; can the two arcs be equal?What are they called?
- How are the two points with respect to center of the circle when arcs are equal.
- If the angle between the radii is fixed but radius of the circle is increased, what can you say about the two arcs?
- What is the longest arc of a circle called?
- What are the arcs called when both major and minor arcs are of same size?