Dangers from the Internet - Beware
From Karnataka Open Educational Resources
- Internet - a double-edged sword. Hindu April 4, 2015
- Man treated for Internet addiction.
- First online murder may happen by end of year: experts
- 'Ditched' by Facebook lover, 14-year-old girl hangs self - From Deccan Herald Bangalore, Nov 6, 2013. report shows use of facebook by children which is not supervised by parents/teachers can be quite dangerous
- A 20-year-old girl student was arrested by the Cyber Crime Police on Thursday on the charge of creating a fake Facebook id. on the name of another girl and posting her photographs, phone numbers and some abusive messages and causing mental agony to her. The Hindu, January 10, 2014
- A June 2011 Consumer Reports "State of the Net" survey "unearthed several disturbing findings about children and Facebook":
- Of the 20 million minors who actively used Facebook in the past year, 7.5 million - or more than one-third - were younger than 13 and not supposed to be able to use the site.
- Among young users, more than 5 million were 10 and under, and their accounts were largely unsupervised by their parents.
- One million children were harassed, threatened, or subjected to other forms of cyberbullying on the site in the past year.
Clearly, using Facebook presents children and their friends and families with safety, security, and privacy risks. read the article from Truthout