Economy and government role of government activity2
Activity - Discussion on role of Government in public goods provisioning
One to two periods
Materials/ Resources needed
Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
Students can collect materials and a group discussion / brainstorming session can be facilitated.
Relevant local connections - people, places and materials
Does your grama panchayat or town panchayat provide public services? What are these?
- Students should collect news articles on different public goods provided by the Government - public (school) education, primary health, public transport, roadways and railways etc
- Identify the reasons for such provisioning.
What questions can you ask
- Are there alternatives to Government provisioning?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Government provisioning?
- Has the role of Government of India in public provisioning increased or reduced in last twenty years?
- Government of Karnataka has schemes like Anna Bhagya, Ksheera Bhagya, Bhagyalakshmi, Akshaya. Do these qualify as public provisioning?
- See the video on Anna Bhagya. From a sociology perspective, does it reinforce gender stereotypes?
Evaluation – (questions for assessment of the child)
Understanding the necessity of public provisioning as a concept/principle.
To link to main page Economy And Government