Epithelial tissue 1
Activity No # 1 - Observation of the epithelial tisue
Materials/ Resources needed
A small piece of inner lining of mouth,dissection needle,glass dish,methylene blue,cover slip,glycerine,microscope etc.
Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
Observe the slide carefully and try to identify the tissue and draw the picture of the same.
Process (How to do the activity)
- Remove a piece of inner lining of the mouth.
- Place it in a glass dish with water.
- Transfer it to a glass slide.
- Add 1 to 2 drops of methylene blue on the section and wash the extra stain with water.
- Add 1 to 2 drops of glycerine and cover the tissue with a cover slip gently and remove the extra stain with a blotting paper.
- Mount the slide on the microscope and observe carefully.
Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
- What is the shape of the cells you observed?
- What are they called?
Evaluation (Questions for assessment of the child)
- What is the function of squamous epithelium?
To link back to the topic page Animal tissues Back