Paper Folding Activity- Lines and Angles
From Karnataka Open Educational Resources
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Materials/ Resources needed
Process (How to do the activity)
- Measurements – length, angles. Point has no dimension. Line segment has a finite length; rotating lines to make angles. Measuring angles. (2 periods).
- Line by itself...making a line; part of a line (on a playground, graph sheet, geogebra). Is there a thing called distance between two lines?
- Parallel lines (emphasise uniform perpendicular distance) (2 periods)
- Pairs of angles (rotation, complementary and supplementary angles as geometric constructs, why Z-angles and F-angles are equal) -through have children put angles together to make 90, 180 degrees (3 periods). Introduce acute and obtuse.
- Through observing angles, observe properties of lines (eg, when angle pairs are observed what can you say about the lines forming them)
- Intersecting lines (3 lines cover an area called a triangle; 4 lines cover a quadrilateral)