Perpendicular bisectors and circumcenter of a triangle
Circumcentre for different types of triangles is investigated with this activity and this further explores several geometric relationships related to the circumcentre and perpendicular bisectors.
Introduce perpendicular bisectors in a triangle and their point of concurrence.
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Ensure that circles, triangles, perpendicular bisectors and their constructions are covered
Materials/ Resources needed
Digital resources: Laptop, geogebra file, projector and a pointer.
Geogebra files: Concurrency of perpendicular bisectors.ggb
Download this geogebra file from this link.
Process (How to do the activity)
- Project the geogebra file and ask the following questions.
- Developmental Questions:
- What is a perpendicular bisector ?
- How do you construct it ?
- Identify the point of intersection of perpendicular bisectors in different triangles.
- What is circumcircle ?
- How is circumradius determined ?
- What parts of the circle is circumcircle touching ?
- Question Corner:
- What are the practical applications of determining the circumcircle ?