Surface area of a pyramid
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Investigating areas of surfaces in a pyramid is approached with this activity.
Understand the solid figure - pyramid.
Explore properties of pyramids.
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
- Knowledge about dimensions, plane figures and solid figures.
- The formulae to find the area of a square and triangles.
- They should know the properties of a pyramid.
Materials/ Resources needed
Digital: Laptop, geogebra file, projector and a pointer.
Geogebra file: Surfaces of a pyramid
Download this geogebra file from this link.
Process (How to do the activity)
- Process :
- The teacher can initially discuss about plane figures, solid figures and pyramids.
- Reiterate the properties of pyramid.
- Discuss about the types of pyramids based on its base.
- project the geogebra file, point to parts of pyramid.
- Moving slider, show them the open pyramid so that students can easily comprehend the surface area of it.
- Reiterate that surface area of pyramid would be the sum of area of its base + 4 times the area of its sides in case of a regular pyramid.
- Developmental Questions
- What is a pyramid ?
- Name its parts.
- What are its properties ?
- What shape is its base ?
- How many vertices does it have ?
- What are the shapes of its sides.
- How many edges, faces does it have ?
- What is the formula to find the area of a square ?
- What is the formula to find the area of a triangle ?
- How do you get the perpendicular height of the triangle?
- Do you know any other formula to find the area of the triangle ?
- What would be the area of the pyramid ?
- On what factors would the area of a pyramid depend ?
- Question Corner:
- Can we have a generalised formula to find the surface area of all types of pyramids ? Discuss.