Types of triangles based on sides
A triangle can be drawn with different measures of sides and these sides determine the kind of triangle formed.
Recognize the triangles based on the measures of the sides
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Prior knowledge of point, lines, angles, elements of triangle
Materials/ Resources needed
- Digital : Computer, geogebra application, projector.
- Non digital : Worksheet and pencil.
- Geogebra files : “Types of triangle by sides.ggb”
Download this geogebra file from this link.
Process (How to do the activity)
- Students should recognize the elements of a triangle – sides and angles.
- What are the measures of the sides of a triangle, are the measurements of the sides equal or different.
- Establish that different triangles are formed with the different measures of the sides: when all sides are different, when any two sides are equal and when all sides are equal.
- Children can note the measures of the sides in the worksheet for different triangles to conclude the type of triangles based on the sides.
- Is the triangle formed for any measure of the sides. When does the triangle not form. What is the relation between the 3 sides for the triangle to be formed.
|Observation||Side 1||Side 2||Side 3||What can you say about sides?||Type of triangle formed|
- Evaluation at the end of the activity
- Are children able to recognize the types of triangles when the sides are specified.
- Have children been able to conclude when a triangle is formed given the three sides.